Diocesan Office of Catechesis
Catechetical leaders and teachers of faith to children, youth, and adults engage in ongoing faith formation in accord with the standards and course of studies approved for the Diocese of Memphis.
Parishes and schools provide annual opportunities for teachers and staff to grow in knowledge of the Catholic faith through local and/or diocesan programs.
The Diocesan Office of Catechesis provides courses at central locations, as well as at local sites, in cooperation with local leadership. Courses are available in Spanish and English.
Courses in line with the Catechist Formation Course of Studies may be taken through Christian Brothers University, the Institute for Liturgy and Spirituality, online programs, video options, and parish courses, in consultation with the Office of Catechesis. College credits and previous diocesan certificates are recognized and applied to certification.
- Intermediate Certificate: Catechists who teach children pre-K through Grade 6
- Advanced Certificate: Catechists who teach youth Grades 7-12
- Professional Certificate or equivalent: Catechetical Leaders and Catechists of Adults.
Catechists take a minimum of 10 clock hours of study per year until they reach their standard. To maintain certification, all catechetical leaders and catechists take 5 hours of study per year, (or 10 hours/2 years), with preference given to the Course of Studies in the Certification program.
Levels of Certification
- Basic (30 HRS)20 hours theology plus 10 hours catechetical methods.
- Intermediate (40 HRS more)30 hours theology plus 10 hours catechetical methods.
- Advanced (50 HRS more)40 hours theology plus 10 hours catechetical methods
- Professional (120 HRS more)110 hours theology plus 10 hours catechetical methods.
Course of Studies
- Catholic Faith Foundations Based on Scripture, The Catechism of the Catholic Church, and other Church documents.
- Catholic Belief, Catholic Bible Overview, Catholic Worship, Catholic Church History and Catholic Morality (10-20 HRS each one)
- Catholics and Other Faith Traditions, Catholic Prayer, and Catholic Spirituality (5-10 HRS each one)
Catechetical Methods/Competencies (5-10 hours)
Required: At least 10 hours from among the following courses:
- Mission To Teach
- Echoes of Faith Methods
- Catechetical Methods for Children, Teens, Adult Faith Formation
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- Effective Director of Religious Education
Elective Methods/Competencies (5-10 hours each one)
- Years of Catechetical Experience
- Psychology/Group Dynamics
- Special Education
- Eucharistic Minister Formation
- Course in Teaching Sacraments
- Education courses
- Personnel/leadership training
- Lector Formation
- Course in Liturgies for Children