Worship"Music Serves the Expression of Faith... Among the many signs and symbols used by the Church to celebrate its faith, music is of preeminent importance. As sacred song united to words, it forms a necessary or integral part of the solemn liturgy."
The principal function of the Diocesan Office of Liturgical Music is to ensure the proper place and presentation of music as prayer in all Diocesan liturgies, and to provide formation for and support to pastors, parish directors of music, and other pastoral musicians in the Diocese of Memphis.
We support the liturgical music needs of the people in our diocese by:
- Modeling the vision of Vatican Council II as set forth in Sacrosanctum Concilium and in the post-conciliar documents related to liturgical music by providing liturgical music and musicians of the highest quality for all diocesan liturgies.
- Developing and maintaining the ministry of the diocesan choir which provides musical leadership at diocesan liturgies throughout the year.
- Promoting the "full, conscious and active participation" in sung prayer at diocesan liturgies by coordinating the music manuscript for inclusion in worship aids for major diocesan liturgies.
- Assisting parish music directors and choir directors with the overall development of music ministries in their parishes.
- Making quality music available to parish musicians through maintenance and promotion of the diocesan liturgical music resource library which includes choral octavos, instrumental scores, cassette tapes and CD's.
- Serving as a resource to pastors in matters related to liturgical music and liturgical musicians