St. Agnes Academy
Job Title: Upper School English Teacher
Department: SAA Upper School English Department
Reports to: SAA Upper School Dean
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Dean, the educator is responsible for teaching in the English department. Additionally, the teacher should foster the intellectual, social, physical, and faith development of students in the Upper School experience.
The position requires that the educator
• Recognize and support the unique Catholic, Dominican Mission of St. Agnes Academy by living out the four Dominican Pillars of Community, Study, Prayer, and Service.
• Contribute to the school community by attending events, positively supporting the school, leading a club, being an active member of a team, and other initiative(s).
• Be involved in extracurricular activities each academic year. Extracurricular assignments will be determined during the course of the hiring process or determined during the course of the school year to meet the needs of enriching the academic, physical, social, and spiritual growth of our students.
• Demonstrate effective planning skills by preparing lessons designed to implement stated goals and objectives and by incorporating curriculum objectives in lesson plans.
• Demonstrate competence in teaching by implementing current, thorough knowledge of curriculum and subject matter, being able to communicate effectively with students (both verbally and written), and being able to organize classroom learning and materials to maximize student time on task, as well as motivate student learning.
• Build meaningful and lasting relationships with both students and peers.
• Counsel students for the purpose of improving performance, appropriate behavior, problem solving techniques, and a variety of personal issues.
• Demonstrate and differentiate methods required to perform classroom and/or subject specific assignments for the purpose of providing an effective program that addresses individual student needs.
• Develop and use effective methods of evaluation that are directly related to curriculum objectives and to concepts and skills taught; consistently and effectively evaluates and documents student progress.
• Assess student progress towards objectives, expectations, and/or goals for the purpose of providing feedback to students’ parents and administration.
• Support other educators in the department for the purpose of assisting them in the implementation of established curriculum and/or individual student plans.
• Establish a consistent disciplinary approach that promotes self-direction and positive self-image. Set
high standards for student behavior and manage inappropriate behavior effectively for the purpose of
providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
• Advise parents of student progress for the purpose of communicating expectations, student
achievements, developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home
• Monitor students in a variety of educational environments for the purpose of providing a safe and
positive learning environment.
• Participate in a variety of meetings and professional development activities for the purpose of
conveying and/or gathering information required to improve student achievement.
• Cooperate with school administration and work effectively with all staff members to promote positive
relationships with students and parents.
• Perform other related duties, as assigned by the Dean, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and
effective functioning of St. Agnes Academy.
An Ideal Candidate would possess the following qualifications:
• A Bachelor’s degree in English. A Master’s degree is preferred.
• Evidence of at least three (3) years of exemplary (English) classroom teaching experience at the high
school level (ages 14-18 priority).
• Competency with instructional technology.
• Ability to work with students varying in ability and learning styles, both nurturing and challenging as
• Ability to positively and effectively collaborate with educators in the department regarding student
• Positive attitude, flexible nature, and a sense of humor
Candidates should email a completed application and credentials (cover letter, resume, and a list of
references) to Heather Valdez, Dean of the Upper School (firstname.lastname@example.org). The position will
remain open until filled.
St. Agnes Academy-St. Dominic School is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to promoting
diversity in the workplace and strongly urges all qualified individuals to apply.
St. Agnes Academy-St. Dominic School is a Catholic, independent school in Memphis, Tennessee,
inspired by the Dominican pillars of Study, Prayer, Community, and Service. We have a supportive,
familial school connected by a warm, welcoming atmosphere. The school,
which offers both single-gender and co-educational programs in grades PK2-12, is committed
to growing well-balanced students, mind, body, and spirit, in a faith-filled environment.