West TN Catholic Weekly – Highlights Across Our Diocese – ¡Adelante!
Serving Catholics in the Diocese of Memphis Since 1971; Our 50th Anniversary – Golden Jubilee
Scam Alert: If you receive emails that appear to be from the Bishop or Clergy asking for money, gift cards, etc. delete it. Also, do not click on any links within those e-mails. God bless!
· Catholic Center Closed Monday: Our Catholic Center will be closed on Monday, Nov. 1, which is All Saints Day. It is a solemn Holy Day of the Catholic Church celebrated annually on Nov 1. The day is dedicated to the Saints of the Church, that is, all those who have attained heaven. It should not be confused with All Souls Day, which is observed the next day on Nov. 2–and is dedicated to those who have died and not yet reached heaven.
· All Souls Day Mass at Calvary: Please join Bishop Talley for an outdoor Mass at our Historic Calvary Catholic Cemetery, 1663 Elvis Presley Blvd., commemorating All Souls Day, Tues., Nov. 2, at 10am–and to honor the Sisters of the Poor Clares. Bishop Talley will be the Celebrant-Homilist along with Priest and Deacons from our Memphis Diocese. All are welcome to commemorate the faithfully departed. For more information, call Catholic Cemeteries: 901-948-1529.
· OLQP to Host Two Events: Our Lady Queen of Peace proudly announces Bishop Emeritus Terry Steib will be speaking at a weekend Retreat for Men, Nov 12-14. The Theme is Encountering God Anew. Also, there will be a one-day event The Teaching Mass where everyone can learn more about all parts of the Mass. The event will be Saturday, Dec. 11. To sign up and/or for more information, go to: OLQPRetreats or email@example.com or call 731-548-2500.
· Catholic Response to Atheism: Take time next month to hear the Catholic Response to Evangelical Atheism with Leah Libresco Sargeant on Monday, Nov. 15, at our St. Louis Catholic Church. Leah will speak at a 1pm Luncheon in the Clunan Center and then speak at 7pm in the Church with a reception after the talk in the Clunan Center. Click the following link to see/print the flyer for the St. Louis, Nov. 15, event with Leah: LeahLibrescoSargeant.
· Pew Ministries Speaker Series: Pew Ministries is excited to announce the second event in its new Speaker Series sponsored by Holy Rosary. The event features Sonja Corbitt, Bible Study Evangelista, who will speak on Saturday, Nov. 20. The event is titled Just Rest. It will consist of four talks after the 8:15am Mass. The event is for women and men. Register at: SonjaCorbittRegistration. There will be a free will offering in lieu of ticket prices. Promo video: SonjaCorbittPromo.
· Annual Triduum this Weekend: St. Martin de Porres Shrine & Institute hosts its annual Triduum this weekend, October 29-31. The preacher is Dominican Fr. Eduardo Logiste. He is a native Haitian, ordained a priest of the Southern Dominican Province and is Pastor of St. Dominican Church, Miami. Events include a pilgrimage Sat. afternoon, a Mass of Healing, Sat., 5pm, a talk by Fr. Logiste on racism Sunday evening and more. For details, go to: StMartinShrine. Admission is free.
· Pilgrimage for Racial Justice: St. Martin de Porres Shrine & Institute and ModernCatholicPilgrim are collaborating on a one-day pilgrimage for racial justice and reconciliation this Saturday, Oct. 30. To see the entire pilgrimage route and schedule for the day, please click on the following link: PilgrimageRacialJustice. Modern Catholic Pilgrim is a non-profit organization that deepens faith and builds communities through walked pilgrimage in the Catholic tradition.
· Catholic Moral Tradition: St. Martin de Porres National Shrine & Institute is presenting a six-class course entitled Catholic Moral Tradition. Class are held on Wednesdays, which started last week on Oct. 20 until December with the exception of Nov. 10 and 24. The class is in the library of St. Agnes-St. Dominic. It is available online. The class is free. If interested, call 901-578-2643. Fr. Carmen Mele, O.P., is the instructor. He is providing the moral theology of St. Thomas Aquinas.
· Help Serve Love to Neighbors: Our Catholic Charities of West Tennessee is helping to Serve Love to neighbors in need. If interested in serving daily meal bags (Mon.-Fri., 8-10am), assisting with clothing closet (Mon.-Fri., Morning-Afternoon), distributing family food boxes (Mon.-Thurs., 9-11am), packing food and hygiene items (Tues. and Thurs., 1-3pm), contact Volunteer Engagement: 901-722-4758 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, go to: CCWTNVolunteer.
· Prayer and Fasting Continue: The 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting to end abortion, which includes a standing vigil to give prayerful and peaceful witness to the Sanctity of Human Life, started on Sept. 22 and ends this Sunday, Oct. 31. The care of thousands of pro-life supporters has been amazing. To learn how to become involved in this proven and effective campaign, visit: 40DaysforLife. Thank you to Kent Pruett (email@example.com) and many others for their leadership.